Monday, March 4, 2013

Monsters in My Mind


How often do I allow my mind to dwell on the small things, 
morphing them into the most abhorrent monsters?

Recently while talking with friends, my attention was drawn to how often the looming monsters in the closet of my mind are, upon closer examination, found to be merely dust balls. Dust balls that I have empowered to control my thoughts and actions. Me, myself, and I. Dwelling on the dust bunnies. Rolling those minuscule,  insignificant events over and over in my mind the way an oyster swirls a grain of sand within its shell. 

Only what comes out at the end could not be farther from a beautiful pearl. 

In the end the event or thing has become all-consuming. Common sense- overridden. Logic- annihilated. No longer are the first things first because my now-monstrous dust bunny has run them off. The power of my mind is amazing. And terrifying. My spare moments can become mental petri dishes in which I cultivate destructive ideas and feelings about situations and people. 

Can we cure these mental bacteria-bunny-monsters? Sure! Its simple! Well, perhaps not exactly simple, but well defined by the Lord. 

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Be on guard for the moments when harmless happenstances roll through your mind. What will they be turned into by your choice of thoughts and reactions? Focus your mental energy on furthering the kingdom of Christ in your life and in those around you.

Remember that the insignificant are merely the dust bunnies of life and guard carefully lest they hide out in the closet and morph into monsters of the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment